Sunday 8 October 2017

Random Dutch beers (part 51)

It's that time of year again - Bokbier season! When I can gorge myself on cheap Amstel Bock.

There are two reasons I drink Amstel Bock. It's cheap. (Very good value at 60 cents for 30 cl. As it's a 7% ABV beer.) And I don't want them to stop making it, as it's a great example of the style. Tasty, I almost forgot that. Drinkable, that too. Make that four reasons, in no particular order. Apart from cheap.

Dolores returned from the supermarket the other day with a veritable bounty of Boks. More than I can be arsed to count at the moment. Time for me to return to my sketches.


Brouwerij 't Ij Ijbok 6.5% ABV
That doesn't smell wonderful. Coriander and cabbage. I've come across that in Ij beers before. Caramel and coffee are sparring in the mouth with the coriander/cabbage thing going on, finishing wioth a smoky bitterness. Something not right here.

"Do you want to try my beer, Lexxie?"

"Nah, I'm OK."


He changes his mind.

"OK, let me try it." Sips. "It's OK. Easy to drink I guess."

Looks over my shoulder.

"What's that with the double X in my name. You're not spelling it right. There's only one x. And the letters aren't in the right order."

"No, that's the way I spell it Lexxxxxie."

"Stop it, dad. You're really annoying, you know."

Pause.

"Write 'Bush did it', dad."

"Did what?"

"The Vegas attacks."

"Lexxie. I can't write that. Just think of all the crazies it might attract."

"Exactly, dad."

1 comment:

Lee said...

Hooray for random Dutch beers!